2 May 2013
FOCAL INTERNATIONAL RESTORATION / PRESERVATION CONFERENCE
supported by the BFI
2 May 2013, BFI Southbank
Belvedere Road, London SE1 8XT
'What is restoration?'
• a one day conference to celebrate, discuss and analyse the range of work being carried out to preserve the world’s film and video heritage
• issues covered: ethics, techniques, commercial pressures, principles, presentation, formats, the canon, audiences
• case studies of work done by archives, film laboratories, facility houses and other specialist digital operations, as submitted to the FOCAL International Awards in association with AP Archive
• key skills and technical achievements will be commended during the informal lunch
• followed by the FOCAL International Awards Gala ceremony in the evening to present major awards including Best Restoration / Preservation Project and Best Title plus an Award to be presented to Grover Crisp, Sony Pictures EVP (below), for Outstanding achievement in the field of film restoration and preservation.
RESTORATION CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
09.30 Registration and coffee
09.45 Introduction - Sue Malden Chair of FOCAL International
09.50 Welcome from Robin Baker, Head Curator, BFI National Archive
10.00 Grover Crisp, Executive Vice President Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering, Sony Pictures Entertainment - Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the field of Film Restoration and Preservation
What is film restoration? - "The state of the art" and the future of film restoration.
10.50 Cecilia Cenciarelli, Restoration and Archival Manager, Cineteca di Bologna/World Cinema Foundation
What is restoration? - The technical challenge of saving the world's film heritage.
11.20 Charles Fairall, Head of Conservation, BFI National Archive and Steve Bryant, Senior Curator of Television, BFI National Archive
What is restoration? - What video preservation and restoration entails; the difficulties of migration and long-term viability.
12.00 Frank Gray, Director, Screen Archive South East
What is restoration? - What restoration means for smaller archives and the cultural and economic issues it raises.
12.30 BUFFET LUNCH & PRESENTATION OF SPECIAL RESTORATION AWARDS
13.45 Zuzana Zabkova, Film Restoration & Archive Services, Cinepost Production, Munich
What is restoration? - A case history of the issues encountered in the restoration of Glueckskinder.
14.15 Panel Discussion:
Chair: Clyde Jeavons, former Curator BFI National Archive
Grover Crisp, Sony Pictures Entertainment
Davide Pozzi, Director, L'Immagine Ritrovata, Bologna
Elif Kaynakci, Curator of Silent Film, EYE Film Institute, Amsterdam
James White, Film Restoration and Remastering Consultant
Bryony Dixon, Curator, Silent Film, BFI National Archive
Adrian Wood, Archival Film Consultant
What is restoration? - A panel discussion on the aesthetic, cultural, ethical and commercial implications of film restoration at the present time.
15.30 Closing Comments
Tickets for the Conference are on sale NOW! Use the Book Event button above.
Anyone wishing to go on to the gala FOCAL International Awards ceremony in the evening will need to book those tickets separately here
Sponsors include: BFI
Sponsors welcome contact email@example.com