11 November 2012
Producers and distributors of documentaries, feature films and any form of production which has used library footage are urged to get their submissions in fast! Awards for restorations of the world's film and video archive heritage are also up for grabs plus awards for the skilled researchers, archivists, libraries and as always a Lifetime Achievement Award.
FOCAL International, the Federation of Commercial Audio-visual Libraries, is calling for entries to its tenth annual FOCAL International Awards, to be presented in association with AP Archive on May 2, 2013. The FOCAL International Awards celebrate the best use of footage in all variety of genres, across all media platforms. Over the last ten years, the FOCAL International Awards has risen to prominence in the world of stock and archival footage, as well as in the international production community at large. promo video
The deadline for submissions to FOCAL International's 10th global awards, in association with AP Archive, to celebrate the footage archive industry is 1st December.
There are 18 award categories, including awards for the best restoration/preservation work. The FOCAL International Awards in association with AP Archive also recognise the researchers, technicians and producers that access, maintain and use this precious resource.
The Award categories are as follows:
• Best Use of Footage in a History Production
• Best Use of Footage in a Current Affairs Production
• Best Use of Footage in a Factual Production
• Best Use of Footage in an Entertainment
• Best Use of Footage in an Arts Production
• Best Use of Footage in a Production featuring Music
• Best Use of Sports Footage
• Best Use of Footage in an Advert or Short Production
• Best Use of Wildlife and Natural History Footage
• Best Use of Footage on Digital or Non-television Platforms
• Best Use of Footage in a Home Entertainment Release
• Best Use of Footage in a Cinema Release
• Best Archive Restoration / Preservation Project
• Best Archive Restoration / Preservation Title
• The Jane Mercer Footage Researcher of the Year Award
• Footage Employee of the Year
• Footage Library of the Year
• Lifetime Achievement
Rick Prelinger winning the Lifetime Achievement Awards in 2012
The qualifying period is productions premiered in 2012 and entry is via the FOCAL website until the closing date 1st December.
All awards will be presented the evening of the 2nd May 2013 at the glittering award ceremony at the Lancaster London Hotel.
Details of each category and submissions entry form can be found at www.focalint.org/focal-international-awards
An additional feature during the ceremony day of 2nd May 2013 will be FOCAL International's What Is Restoration? Conference, supported by the British Film Institute (BFI). This will allow some submissions in the Best Restoration/Preservation categories, which have not necessarily been shortlisted, to be featured as case studies, and in some instances to receive separate commendation. The main awards in this, and other categories, will however be presented at the main awards ceremony.
Those interested in sponsorship opportunities at both the Awards ceremony and restoration conference should contact Anne Johnson at FOCAL International, firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)20 3178 3535.